Make a Lasting Impression
People shopping for a home often drive around neighborhoods and look for “For Sale” signs. What is the first thing they see? The outside of the homes, right? These home shoppers are probably making a list of addresses of the homes they want to see the inside of or collecting information sheets. If your home is for sale, you should be concerned about ways to make your home stand out and making a great first impression from the outside to entice people to want to view the inside of your home. To do this, you have to make your home stand out from the crowd and make a lasting impression, especially if you live in a neighborhood of cookie-cutter homes and several are for sale.
If you have a HOA, finding ways to make your home stand out can be a challenge but not impossible.
Here are some tips to make your home stand out:
- Replace any old wood or siding and give your home a fresh coat of paint if it has been a while since it was painted or is looking drab. If you have siding that doesn’t need paint, take a hose and wash it down. Sometimes, just getting the dust and dirt off can make a big difference.
- Renew any decks, porches and patios. Clean the surfaces and freshen with new stain on wood or replace missing pieces or grout on stone or brick. If you have a deck, porch or patio made of concrete, consider having it stained to match the accent color of the house.
- Repair any fencing you may have on the property. If you have stone, brick or stucco wall type fencing, repair cracks, replace missing pieces and give it a new coat of paint. With wood fencing, replace any warped or missing pieces and add some nails or screws where needed. Also re-stain or paint your wood fence with fresh paint. No matter what type of fencing you have, make sure your fencing is all standing straight and not sagging or loose. Fix gate hinges and latches.
- Replace the mailbox with a stylish new one.
- Landscaping. Spruce up your landscaping by trimming over-grown hedges, pruning roses, removing vines that hide positive features of your home, mulch plant beds and remove any tree stumps. If you can’t remove stumps, make it a focal point by turning it into a seat, a plant stand or put a bird house on it. Be sure you keep the leaves raked and disposed of and the lawn is nice and green and freshly mowed. Also make sure all outside drip systems and sprinklers are in working order.
- If your HOA allows it. Hang up a tree swing. A simple tree swing made with rope and a solid wood seat painted a bright color, like red can often remind passers-by of fond childhood memories. This is a great way to make your home stand out, give lasting impression and make your home look inviting and kid-friendly.
- Make your home stand out by putting a focal point in your yard, such as a bird bath and feeding area or an area of flowers designed to attract hummingbirds. Ponds and fountains make nice additions to a garden area.
- Make your home stand out at night by adding some solar lights along the sides of the walkways and driveway of the property and maybe add some stylish tiki torches in the garden.
- Make sure your house numbers are large and visible and of a contrasting color if possible. Even glow-in-the-dark numbers look great at night.
- If your porch or deck is large, install a ceiling fan or two, even if it is an open area and as long as it has a roof. Creating your own breeze on a hot summer day can be a great selling point.
Make Your Home Stand Out on the Inside Too
We all know that most remodeling jobs can be quite costly and daunting, but the rewards of making a room brighter and seem more spacious or updating a few items, will be well worth the efforts. Those few remodeling projects could be just what is needed to make your home a fast seller. Ask yourself, what are the first two rooms you generally look at when you are looking to buy a home? For most, it is the bathroom and the kitchen area. Those two rooms seem to be the most occupied rooms in the house a majority of the time, especially the kitchen. Buyers like to see a well lit area, with plenty of room for family and guests, as well as a floor plan with convenient access from the rest of the house.
Most Important Rooms
Many buyers also like to see a decent size bathroom, especially buyers with families. They don’t want to step out of the shower and trip over the toilet or bathroom sink while trying to dry off. They will need room to maneuver smoothly, and be able to get the little ones in and out of the tub safely.
It is very necessary to keep a clean home, inside and out, when you’re looking to sell your Florida real estate property. Not all sellers feel this is important but if you want your buyers to see the home and the goodies it has to offer, you don’t want them to have to step over or around your personal items to do that. You’ll want them to focus purely on your home, not your furnishings or a mess. Honestly, a messy home does make your home stand out but not in the right way. A messy home often makes buyers wonder what condition the plumbing and electrical will be in and if the maintenance was kept up on it. Simple things like just running the vacuum or replacing a shower curtain can make all the difference.
Some Things Can Make or Break a Sale
Make your home stand out by appealing to as many of our human senses as possible. Appeal to a buyers sense of smell by lighting a scented candle. Believe it or not, appearance and bad smells can make or break a sale.
Make your home stand out by enlisting the help of a professional real estate agent, such as Realty Fox Realty in Palm Beach County Florida. Realty Fox real estate agents are up to date on the economy, know the real value of your home and how to negotiate with any potential buyers and lenders. Their agents are also educated in the latest technology such as Facebook, Twitter and know how to make a “virtual tour” video to post on various websites for advertisement to make your home stand out online too. Serious buyers will view the virtual tour and a website dedicated to only your home and then will inquire with a Realty Fox agent to view the home in person. Realty Fox real estate agents will be able to make your home stand out in ways that make your home sell quickly. They may already have a buyer in mind that may be looking for just the type of home that you are offering.